Bonjour bonjour! I’m Louis Grenier, the host of the marketing podcast Everyone Hates Marketers, a weekly podcast for people who, like me, are sick of shady, aggressive marketing.
It all started for a rather selfish reason: I wanted to chat with no-nonsense marketers and learn how they were “doing” marketing the right way.
Between November 2016 and February 2017 I chatted with 16 marketers and made sure to record every conversations. At the time, I didn’t even have a name for the show.
I had a lot of fun and learned a lot.
I was hooked.
Marketing has always been more than a career or a job for me. I’m kinda obsessed with it.
I love understanding people – what they really think, what they really like, what they really do. I love creating things people love.
Marketing is really simple: understand people, create something they love, rinse, repeat.
If you’re a marketer, or did some marketing in the past, you probably had to use some bad marketing tactics to get your boss off your back, to reach your quarter targets, or simply because you felt that everybody else was doing it.
Here’s what I mean by shady, aggressive, bad marketing:
- promoting an online webinar with “only 50 seats available” to push people to subscribe
- writing poor 300-word articles just to rank on Google with no consideration for people
- using bots to automagically “engage” with people on Instagram and send automated direct messages on Twitter
- using buzzwords that don’t make any sense and that have NO meaning (“best-in-class”, “client-focused”, “disruption”, etc…)
- using cheap stock photos
- following competitors every move instead of focusing on customers
- using the latest hack to take advantage of a loophole that will be fixed in a week
- interrupting people with huge popups or videos playing automatically
- sending emails to a list that don’t give a shit about you
- inviting people on LinkedIn just to spam them 10 minutes later
- using your personal details against your will and sending to third-parties so you can be spammed in return
It’s funny because we don’t like to be treated this way by others but yet we do it ourselves. I don’t blame you. I used some of those tactics in the past.
Most of us are under pressure to deliver short-term results and please our boss.
The Internet puts a huge distance between us and the people we talk to.
I know that deep down you don’t like using bad marketing.
You’re not the only one.
From now on, let’s say enough is enough.
There’s a better way to do marketing:
- We can treat people the way we’d like to be treated AND generate leads.
- We can help them to solve their biggest problems WITHOUT being spammy.
- We can understand people and respect their privacy at the same time.
- We can sell AND be honest at the same time.
This is our competitive advantage.
Enjoy the podcast.
If you want to get in touch, go to the Contact page.